Monday 15 August 2011

Dorset 14th August

Yesterday morning I headed down to Dorset again, for the first weekend for a little while I gave myself a lie in and missed first light, arriving at my mark aound 8am....I paid for such laziness! When I got there it was pretty much HW, as I'd timed my trip to fish the ebb, which based on recent experience has been better. It was very bright and breezy though, never my favorite conditions and it was consequently hard work.

I started off well, landing a fish around 2lbs pretty quickly, taken on a mullet Feed Shallow, and lost a slightly better fish in close. The fish I lost was one of those annoying fish that refuses to fight properly, it took the lure right at my feet and then just flopped around on the surface. I could see it was lightly hooked and I just knew it was going to come off!

After that it dried up though and I fished on for three more hours without a sign of another fish.

No pics from yesterday, as the bass I caught was bleeding prefusely and didnt survive the experience, I don't mind taking the odd fish for the pot (I do a mean baked Thai style bass) but I dont think putting up pictures of dead or bleeding bass looks particularly good.

So here's a picture of a nice plaice instead! I caught this from Chesil the year before last, 4lb 2oz and my PB plaice. The reason I put it up as it's just feeling a bit autumnal today, and it got me thinking of plaice fishing. After lure fishing, plaice are my favorite target, I'm not sure why, waiting by a beachcaster for a plaice to hang itself and be winched in sounds kind of dull now, but for some reason I love catching them, so I'm starting to look forward to calm sunny October afternoons when I can dust off the zzippies and have a crack for a spotty....and if I get a fish near the size of the one below I'll be very happy!







No comments:

Post a Comment